Color and body of beer is the result of the type of malts used during the brewing process. The most popular malt is made from roasted barley. The type of malt used not only influences the color of beer but also affects the body and flavor as well.
A dark beer tends to have a deeper, more complex set of flavors which may include notes of coffee, chocolate and toffee – flavors which come primarily from the malt. We'll sample a variety of different dark styles to get a good comparison of each beer.
- Weltonburger Kloster Barock Dunkel (Kelheim, Germany)
- Westbrook Dark Helmet Schwarzbier (Mt. Pleasant, SC)
- Hi-Wire Enchanter Baltic Porter (Asheville, NC)
- Pisgah Valdez Coffee Stout (Black Mountain, NC)
- Birdsong Mexicali Stout (Charlotte, NC)
- Horny Goat Imperial Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter (Milwaukee, WI)